Sunday, January 11, 2009

Hula Away ...

Thanks to a dear friend, Az, who managed to arrange for Hula Dance class for the next six Saturdays, M and I had our first session this weekend and we had a great time. The dance instructor is really nice and paced her lesson slow enough for us to follow. What I like about this dance is that is very grounded (the dance instructor kept reminding us to imagine our feet in the sand) and pretty sensual (well at least the teacher did it real nice wherelse the rest of us were trying to coordinate feet, hands and hips without knocking into each other).
It's different from what we were doing before and as for myself, it has been two years since I stepped foot any dance studio so knees and back were hurting this morning after I got up! Yeah, age catching up definitely. But am pretty sure that for the next six weeks, my back is going to feel much better once it's loosen up like before and looking forward to learning more basic steps at class. It's also a little easier (so far at least but we've only had one class so I better not say too much right now). We learnt how to move to the left and right with hips swinging in a coordinated manner (can't remember what the movement is called though), we did a couple of ka'o. And everything is exaggerated right now though we were assured that it will become subtle with time *laughs* I sure hope so otherwise we will look real odd man!
And if you're thinking coconut shells and straw skirts. Nope, no such thing fortunately! *laughs* Will look for a lei sometime this week from Spotlight and I think with my sarong skirt in hand, I am looking forward to next Saturday's class. Thanks Az for organising the class! *big hugs*
Update: Found a site where they teach the basic hula steps. Will update when I find more ...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home