Sunday, January 04, 2009

Clutter queen ...

I am a horder. It's horrible I know and at this age, I STILL hord things. I have something called compulsive-hoarding syndrome, or disposophobia *grins* I dunno whether it boils down to pure laziness of having to clear things especially those that I don't need or use anymore OR I am actually sentimentally attached to my things. And yeah, I have read enough books (and it's pretty much good old common sense) that if you have not used the item within the month (or maybe six months), it cannot be THAT important.

But somehow I tell myself I MAY need the item and I will probably regret it cuz the day I discard the item, I would need it and have to go out to get a replacement *laughs* See how well I kid myself! I am too embarass to even look at some of my drawers cuz god knows what I will find in there.

My aim for 2009 is to do my best to lead a clutter-free life. I have quite a long way to go but I think it could be rather theraupetic process. Ideally, I should just spend a weekend to go through my things and rid of them quickly but I am not sure if I have a weekend to do just that (yeah, I hear you screaming EXCUSES! EXCUSES *laughs*) So will aim by February to at least clear all my clothes that I have not used for a while (or can't fit into!) and see if anyone else can put them to better use and by end of February, I will cart them to Salvation Army. Killing several birds with one stone. Clear my clutter and maybe do a lil bit of charity too?

Trust me I have a lot of decluttering to do so have grouped them into several categories. Will probably keep adding to this categories as I discover more things but right now there are - Clothes, Books, CDs/DVDs, Craft Materials, Handbags (I cleared the bulk last year but there might be more to clear). So wish me luck as I start to declutter my life of things!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Saya said...

I wish you the best on your de-cluttering endeavor. I too suffer from OCD Compulsive Hoarding. It is one of my goals in 2009 to recover from it. I have tons of everything, books, clothing, paper, pens, office supplies, trinkets, bags..it goes on and on
:( It is difficult to get good professional help, because most therapist do not know about nor understand hoarding behaviors.

Good Blessings
Saya
witchblade31@gmail.com

9:13 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Dr said its quite normal to have OCD when it comes to clutter . I have always had a bunch of things I could live without. FOr sure it's paper. Especially now with my 5 year old in school. He comes home with so much daily and I just have no where for it. I recently bought a book that has helped me with my clutter issue. The book I got is by Stephanie Bennett Vogt called Your Spacious Self. I have really enjoyed it and have learned a lot so far. Its like a good movie, you watch it over and over and get all the parts you missed.
I hope you give it a try, it's really amazing how it changes you.

2:01 pm  
Blogger Me, Myself n I said...

Thanks for the comment Saya. It's very comforting to know that I'm not the only one 'suffering' from this cuz sometimes it feels overwhelming with so many things around me. And the disgusting thing is that sometimes I forget that I have bought the item, and go and get another! New year, new goals yes. Wishing you the very best too!!!

10:17 pm  
Blogger Me, Myself n I said...

Hi Chrissy, thanks for sharing the SpaceClear site. Will take a look at it after this :o) And also that book sounds interesting and I would definitely like to get it. Will check out Kino this weekend. Hope they have it! Thanks for the recommendation :o)

10:19 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home