Sunday, December 03, 2006

Chomel the Elephant

Was talking to my Dad about a new order I have - to make a standing toy elephant. I have not made one that can stand before and I always love the challenge. My Dad got excited about it too and we started looking up some books that I got from Sydney in June. I was too impatient to read the books and tried to modify a pattern I came up with for another elephant and two hmmm...unelephant-like looking toys, I gave up and decided to do some research, something I should have done earlier so that I won't waste them cloth.

But my Dad approached the project in a different manner. We studied the patterns and discussed how we would have to sew the parts together. He then spent the whole evening making a paper version of the elephant.

And this is from a man who has never made any toy before and sewing was limited to patching up clothings or sewing buttons on his shirts. So this is like a big deal and yes, he's pretty much hooked. Yay!! Cuz the next evening, he made a felt version and it turned out rather cute. This is a toy a grandpa is making for his grandson so it's pretty awesome I think. Infact his looks more like a elephant than mine which resembles a COW!
Then last night, he used a clean towel to cut the pieces up and made another elephant and it's getting better. And now that we made enlargement to the patterns, he will be making another one real soon and I have YET to start on my third try.
Here's a shot of his elephants look like. It's work in progress but we're all real proud of his work! And I've bought a huge bag of polyfill stuffing cuz there's two people in the family who are into making toys now :o)

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have always liked elephants-big and makestic yet wise !

11:34 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Typo-I meany MAJESTIC. :)

11:35 pm  
Blogger Fiona Kathleen Hogan said...

You know, those elephants are really rather cute.......

1:10 am  
Blogger 3A Gurl said...

your papa so ON hor! I love the brown one cos all short and squat. It will also balance better in the long term, with less effort (hint for your papa). Longer legs require some form of wire support for long term utility = more research.

12:06 pm  
Blogger Me, Myself n I said...

I prefer the elephants with short legs too. Long legs way too skinny for the elephant. Paul, we will strive to make a nice big majestic yet wise one, as how elephants should be!

Fi, his toys look much better than the one I tried to make. Mine's a mutant..part elephant part cow. Very sad looking.

9:26 pm  
Blogger Me, Myself n I said...

Az, I agree with you. The skinny legs not solid enough to support the body. He modified the pattern by extending the legs so it got a bit off. I like it short and squat too actually. Cuter.

9:27 pm  
Blogger Fiona Kathleen Hogan said...

hey, can I have the mutant one? :)

10:03 pm  
Blogger Me, Myself n I said...

Mutant has the face of an elephant and the butt of a cow *laughs* Dunno how that happened!

10:24 pm  
Blogger Fiona Kathleen Hogan said...

Liza! A cow's butt! Perfect for me! *BigAssGrin*

3:55 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home