Friday, October 20, 2006

Mammogram for 2006


Went for my yearly mammogram recently and had a little scare when I was called up for an 'extra view' cuz of a spot that they saw and wanted to be sure if it was anything worth panicking about. I did my very first mammo last year as advised by a doctor thanks to a strong family history of breast cancer. I wasn't too worried cuz with such strong family history I have tried to mentally prepare myself that someday, I MIGHT have it and all I can do now is take precautions rather than sink into depression over something I have no control over. Plus, I might not even have it in this lifetime so life goes on. I was suppose to go for a high risk testing to see if I have the DNA that doctors could pinpoint to be the cancer causing genes. It would require my Mom to do the test with me so that a comparison can be made between us and all the other cases. It had implications of course. Do I really want to know if I have that specific DNA? Would I be okay knowing that it might just 'erupt' anytime? Would I be able to handle that knowledge? Do I really want to know?

After much thought, I decided against doing the test. I know that my Mom had breast cancer twice. I have aunties on my Mom's side who has had breast cancer. And what I can do that is within control is to go for my regular yearly mammo and constantly do self-checks and be more in tune with my body so that I can detect changes. And when in doubt, there is the good old doctor that I can go to for checks. I think that's all I can do and move on with life. No point getting all upset for something that is not within my control. And if I've got the stats right for us ladies, 1 out of every 5 women will probably be diagnosed for breast cancer and that is a very high probability for any of us.

So ladies, if you have a strong family history like me, please get your mammogram done soon. Don't wait till you hit 40. My Mom got hers when she was 45 years old and my doctor advised that I start my mammogram 10 years before the onset. If you do not have a strong family history and have hit the 40 and above age group...go get yourself checked please. And the mammogram doesn't hurt. It's umcomfortable but it's really fast. So don't wait ya!

2 Comments:

Blogger Fiona Kathleen Hogan said...

oh Liza :o
Glad the yearly test came out all right. Been thinking about it myself but thought I was being over eager.......

2:45 am  
Blogger Me, Myself n I said...

Hi Fi,
Other than our normal self checks, good to go for the mammo too dear! As a just in case thing peace of mind thing to do :o)

5:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home