Saturday, November 25, 2006

Puteri Gunung Ledang - the Musical


I wanted to watch this musical cuz of the raving reviews it got after the performance in Malaysia. It's a Malaysian production and had interesting people in the cast. Tiara Jacquelina plays the Gusti Puteri Retno Dumilah (i.e. the Javanese Princess of Majapahit) and gorgeous (and I mean droolingly gorgeous) Stephen Rahman-Hughes plays Hang Tuah. Go ahead and check out the website for more about the musical.

A little snippet about the musical if you are not familiar with the legend:

"Puteri Gunung Ledang brings to life the legend of an ill-fated romance between a beautiful princess and handsome warrior, set in the kingdom of Majapahit in ancient Java and the Sultanate of Malacca. In it, Puteri, the princess, dreams of true love. Her brother, Gusti Adipati, the ruler of Majapahit, however, has different concerns. His kingdom is undergoing attack by Demak, a warring state. He enlists the help of the Sultan of Malacca who dispatches to Majapahit an army led by his loyal subject, the warrior Hang Tuah. Puteri and Hang Tuah fall in love and agree to meet on Gunung Ledang in Hang Tuah's homeland, Malacca, after the battle. When the battle drags on, Puteri decides to wait for her beloved on Gunung Ledang. Little does she know that she has been betrothed by her brother to the Sultan of Malacca. "

How did I find the musical? I enjoyed it tremendously and wouldn't mind watching it again but tickets are all sold out here in Singapore. The actors and actresses were good and the props were simple but were used effectively to create the different scenes throughout the musical. I enjoyed the songs, beautifully sung and the lyrics were lovely. It's definitely something that Malaysia can be proud of. Am keeping my fingers cross that they will run it again in the near future and I will definitely watch it again. And even if you do not understand Malay, it's okay cuz English subtitles available for the audience. A MUST SEE for one and all!

When this was performed in Malaysia, they actually sold the VCD and book. I managed to get the book at MPH but rather disappointed that they did not have the VCD on sale at the Esplanade. If anyone has any idea where I can get the VCD, please do let me know as I would love to have it. I might be in KL in a few weeks for the weekend and if anyone knows where I can get it there, that would be useful too.
Here's a music video of Tiara doing a song from Puteri Gunung Ledang the Movie which was done before the musical.

2 Comments:

Blogger 3A Gurl said...

Waiting for the movie to feature in "On Demand" cable. But if you can get the VCD, can I pinjam?

9:09 pm  
Blogger Me, Myself n I said...

Me not seen the movie either and am curious now to see how it's like. If I manage to get my hands on it, will pass it on to you yes :o)

2:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home