Monday, January 30, 2006

Happy Chinese New Year to one and all....

It has been a while since I posted anything but been trying to settle down in school and after only four weeks, am tired so this long weekend is lovely!!! Been waiting for this weekend for a long time and sad that it will be gone real soon.

Was in town and yes, the whole nation basically shuts down during this Chinese New Year period. Usually only the cinemas and fast food joints and oh yes...supermarkets. Was at GIANT supermarket yesterday and yes, mainly makciks were there shopping away.

So what do Malay families do during CNY? Well dunno about the other Malay families but this is what my family did. We had a scale down steamboat dinner. My mom usually gets into the mood and we would have steamboat dinner at my grandma's place. But this year cuz she wasn't feeling too good, we had a scale down version at home instead.

And at night, Mom and I were happily munching on kuah chee. That's the thing about living in Singapore, you kinda do stuff that the other races do and it all seems so normal. There's nothing strange seeing a Chinese person eating mee rebus from a Malay stall or seeing a Malay person munching happily on some thosai. That's what I like about Singapore. And love the way we all 'celebrate' all the different festivals.

What else have I been up to. Well thanks to my cousin who introduced me to Tunisian crochet, I am working on a shawl and a scarf (two scarves actually but the other one am not sure what stitch I am using). What I like about Tunisian scarf is that I use a huge hook and it's kinda fast. For the shawl, I am on my second skein and for my scarf, I need to get another ball of yarn from Spotlight. Funny thing is that as I work on the scarf, was wondering how long the scarf should be cuz never own a proper scarf and here in the tropics, we use them think scarf more for accessories than to keep one warm. So was wondering how much further should I go on for the scarf. Well, will have to google that one and see if I can get the answer.

Will take a picture once I am done with the shawl and scarves. Now why crocheting...well aim for this year is to learn how to knit. And thought I'll slowly ease into this by starting with crocheting which requires only one needle. And I bought a PRETEEN crocheting guide from Spotlight. Was thinking to myself...like how hard can it be ya? Preteen means simple language with lots of pictures. Boy was I wrong. After reading a few instructions, I got totally lost. So ended up doing something (that's one of the scarves) and am not sure what I'm doing but continuing to do it *grins*

So am glad that my cousin came to the rescue and introduced me to Yueli from Leaping Yarns. I signed up for a project (i.e. shawl) and learnt some basic stitches that will keep me occupied for now. Next project when that is done would be to learn how to crochet a bag!

Anyways, it's back to marking. Have three sets of marking to do and some slide presentations to prepare for ... all by Wednesday! Good luck to me *sighs*


3 Comments:

Blogger Fiona Kathleen Hogan said...

Babes, knitting? :)

10:10 pm  
Blogger Me, Myself n I said...

*laughs* I need to so get a life. Yes am working my way to knitting *grins* I am THAT bored!!!

10:44 pm  
Blogger Fiona Kathleen Hogan said...

Aw, Liza.... we need to do the sand castle thingie. have to do it! lol. When are ye free???

10:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home