Saturday, December 31, 2005

Food Paradise Singapore

It's difficult, even impossible to stay slim in Singapore with all the yummy food that we have here. Either you have to be blessed with a very high metabolic rate or work out at the gym 7 days a week for at least 3 hours each time. Now, since I am not blessed with high metabolic rate and I have 'near death' experiences each time I step on the dreaded treadmill machine, I am destined to keep on putting weight *sighs*

Had dinner with parents at East Coast Lagoon Food Village and as the name implies, they had heaps of food there. Anything you want, you can get it there. Our usual fare when we head there would be satay of course. We tried all the satay stalls there (yes, we go there pretty regularly) and finally found one stall that has the nicest satay. We usually have the mutton (love the lil bit of fat that they sneak in between the meat) and the babat or tripe. Yes, yucky to some but I simply love it!

We also had fried kway teow (flat rice noodles) with cockles. Also yummy but I couldn't take a picture of it cuz it was too dark. I also ordered Roti John (see below). I have no idea why it's called Roti John. Roti means bread in Malay but John means nothing in Malay. Now, there's a theory (my Mom's) that it's probably cuz some ang moh (westerner) named John who came up with it and got his cook (a Malay person) to make it for him thus the name Roti John...John's bread *laughs*

Another theory by yours truly is that there was some Malay guy who was trying to sell this dish to an ang moh named John and he yelled out 'Roti John' as in 'Bread John?' and that's how the dish became to be known as Roti John. Guesses here people. Now if anyone can enlighten me as to why this lovely dish is not Roti Mat or Roti Minah or something like that, and instead is called Roti John, please please let me know.


We had sugar cane juice (we tend to alternate between sugar cane juice and coconut juice each time we head there) to wash down all the yummy food. Now other must have (there were only three of us so we couldn't order more food much to my despair but there was just not enough tummies to finish up all the food):

1. Chinese Rojak
2. Honey BBQ chicken wings
3. Ice cocktail jelly (dessert)
4. Teh Halia

And am sure there are other dishes that I have not tried. So will add on to the list as I try them. But right now, am totally satisfied with our usual fare *grins*

I am thoroughly stuffed (as usual) and very satisfied! If only we had durians to top the night, it would have been a perfect 10!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home