Saturday, October 15, 2005

Saying goodbye....

Graduation Day today at work. Simple ceremony for students and teachers to have their last say. It's always a touching ceremony especially when you have kids who you watch grow through the years. The last time I had a form class was some years back. I remember trying to maintain my composure as tears came from nowhere and I could do nothing about it. So all I could do was wept with my class as I went to each one of them to shake their hands and give them hugs to bid them good luck.

You kinda get a flash back of what great kids they have become. I remember that class being so motivated when they put theirs minds into doing something. We came in top for the cyclethon (fund raising effort by the school) and I remember being with the kids just minutes before the deadline and they were pooling in their savings and calling their classmates to part with their pocket money so that the class will be first for raising the most amount of money. Watching their enthuasism, I too parted with some money to 'round off' the amount they raised and they managed to outdo all the other classes. Part of the treat was that the whole class took part in the Cyclethon and spent a lovely day at the beach cycling as a class. Yes at times they irritated the hell out of me but those moments were rather insignificant when I think about the lovely things they did. For teachers day, they actually spent hours in the afternoon learning ballroom dancing (from watching an instructional VCD) so that they could incorporate that in as part of their performance for the teachers. Another activity where the class got together and all came in their ethnic wear for Racial Harmony and we came in on top again as one of the very few class that had 100% participation. And all that they did on their own without me having to nag at them. That was several years ago.

Today I had to bid farewell to another bunch of great kids. Some I have taught for the last four years. Many have grown into wonderful and responsible young ladies and and gentlemen. A few are still as irritating as ever but I guess they did give me something to complain about when us teachers get together. So for that, I thank them *grins*.

I didn't have a form class this year but I still felt sad knowing that as teachers, we had to let these kids go out to the real world. I hope that we have equiped them with skills that will help them as they face the many challenges and obstacles that they will come across in the future. I hope that we have taught them to dream big and to reach for the starrs. I hope we have taught them to not give up, and if they fall, to get up and start over again. I hope we have taught them to stand up for what they believe in and always help others who are not as fortunate as they are. And more importantly, I hope we have instilled in them good values that will guide them throughout their lives.

I am proud of each and everyone of them that made it and graduated today. I don't know if I made a difference in their lives but many of them definitely make a difference in my life and on days when I question why I am in this profession, I can look back and think fondly of them and reinforce why many others like me choose to ..... teach.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

hi!
i was doing some research on flicker and stumbled on warm 'n fuzzy's photostream..
saw that she did a mexican candy swap with a liza of singapore so i was like 'wah cool!' and decided to check out ur page..
lo and behold, i was lookin at the photostream of my secondary sch teacher!! ^^

u taught me geography when i was in lower sec(beatty)..
my name's Nurshahera(sha) and to be exact, i was the girl who burst into tears cuz she cldnt take art as one of her sec 3 subjects and u had the task of consoling me.. LOL!!
well i did enter an art school.. in fact, i just graduated from NAFA with a diplomma in visual communication majorin in graphic design...
anyways, just wanted to do a lil shout out! (though its turning to be quite a long one instead...)

p.s. it wld be really nice to hear from u!! btw, selamat hari raya to u!

regards, sha

12:52 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home