Sunday, October 02, 2005

Day out with my nephew!

Had a marking free day today! And it was lovely. I took my parents and my adorable nine month old nephew out shopping at Orchard Road. Armed with a baby stroller and a knapsack with things the little kiddo would need, we started the day at Centrepoint Shopping Centre and ended at Takashimaya.

Several things I learnt today. My little nephew, Mirza is adorable. He is a happy baby who loves to laugh and has discovered the joy of singing, well at least we think it is singing as he produced baby music that was totally out of tune but he seemed to enjoy himself and being a little kiddo, he got away with it too.

Orchard Road is not a baby-stroller friendly place. Being single and having no kids of my own, this was the first time I had to maneuver the baby-stroller and I have a new found respect for mothers who get off and on those escalators with such ease and grace. I had this constant fear that my poor nephew would go flying as we took the escalator down. Going up was a lot easier than going down. Think Mirzah knew it was my first time and decided not to wail each time he went bumpity-bump (and trust me, it happened a lot). There are lots of steps along Orchard Road and too few ramps for people with wheels.

Each time we went into a shopping centre, the first thing I looked for was the location of the lift. We decided the safest way to get from one floor to another was for my dad to carry Mirzah and I pushed the stroller up or down *laughs*

Another jaw dropper was when I saw mothers wearing heels and pushing the strollers. I was tripping over my way-too-long jeans (kids at school call it my ‘skater’ jeans) and I my dad managed to run me over with the stroller three times during those five hours.

I salute all mothers out there who are not perturbed by how difficult it is to bring their kids out when shopping. I had a lovely time with Mirza and my parents today and it was an eye-opener for me. I learnt a lot more about the little kiddo and also learnt how it’s like when you have a kid with you. It’s pretty much all about him and there is no such thing as your own schedule. I will definitely jump out of the way the next time I come across a mother with a stroller and offer my cab to the family with little kids and help.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home