Monday, October 24, 2005

New addition to the family!


I was curious after surfing sites and coming across them sock monkeys. I was intrigued how a pair of socks can be turned into a play thing. I have heard about them but being Asian and all, I don't think it's something that's part of my childhood. Barbie dolls maybe but definitely not sock monkeys.

Found a website that had the instructions to make one. I was curious and that became a project for me (a nice distraction as I have to complete a report for work that is due tomorrow *sighs*). Went to the Hari Raya Bazaar at Geylang Serai with my Mom and bought a nice pair of socks for this. Of course it was the wrong kind of socks but I couldn't wait. These are the proper kind of socks for making them monkeys - Rockford Red Heel Socks but since I have no idea where to get them here, ordinary socks will have to do for now.

Worked on it all day and this is the result of my attempt at a sock monkey. Please excuse my monkey for not being made from the right kind of socks and for have buttons for eyes (am I allowed to use buttons btw?). I just had to complete mine today so used what I had around me!

So here's my sock monkey, playing peek-a-boo with the camera.


Pretty interesting to find out how these sock monkeys come about. Was it about recycling old worn out socks to make it into a play thing for the little ones? Will do a little more research and see what I can come up with on the origin of sock monkeys. Please enlighten me if you know how these cute fellas came about.


In the meantime, will think of a name to give my very first sock monkey. I think it's an acquired taste - these sock monkeys. It's not the conventional cute soft toy but after a while, it kinda grows on you and now I think my sock monkey is the cutest ever. It's like how mothers seem to think that their babies are the cutest of them all *laughs*

By the way, it's also possible to make a sock elephant but I don't think I will be trying that one anytime soon. Alrighty, it's back to writing the report *sighs* Bummer!

Update 24 October 2005: Decided to name this little fella Belang the Monkey. 'Belang' means stripes in Malay and I think it describes him perfectly! :o)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home