Sunday, October 16, 2005

Fabrics Galore...

Alrighty, maybe I am exaggerating on the 'galore' bit but am darn happy with the fabrics I got today. Was done at the dentist and had a little time to spare before meeting Fiona and Mag. I wandered about a bit and behind the hawker centre, I chanced upon a small shop tucked away in the corner. There was an elderly couple arranging the cotton fabrics and I was like hmm...

I am basically a Spotlight girl. I love the things they have at Spotlight especially the materials - simply gorgeous. But the prices can be very very painful. Bought some recently and it came up to, quite a bit. As I rambled on before, needed to find cheaper alternatives.

And I am glad I checked out the little shop. They didn't have an extensive range like Spotlight but I love prices they had for the cotton fabric (they mainly sold cotton fabrics). I don't know what I am going to do with these fabrics yet but they surely made my day. Bought about 9 different materials (about 1 yard each - yes, they were still going by yards). They were mainly batik prints on cotton fabric. Yes, I went overboard by buying different colours of the same designs but they were gorgeous!!! For example, they had pieces with different bird designs.


There's also floral ones which I bought in different shades.


I think I made the couple's day cuz I don't think they get very much business and am sure I tired them out after my 15 minutes with them *grins* But they are such a lovely couple and I am definitely going to visit them every now and then to see what other neat stuff they have.

For those wondering what is batik.

The term “Batik” is an Indonesian-Malay word. Batik has come to be used as a generic term which refers to the process of dyeing fabric by making use of a resist technique; covering areas of cloth with a dye-resistant substance to prevent them absorbing colors. The technique is thought to be over a thousand years old and historical evidence demonstrates that cloth decorated with this resist technique was in use in the early centuries AD in Africa, the Middle East and in several places in Asia.

Because of the popularity of batik designs, many batik patterns are used in a wide variety of fabrics. Many fabrics are called batik although they were not made in the resist method.

Anyways, I have no idea what I will be doing with these materials. It's one of those buys where I am just glad I have them. Now will have to think of what I can do with them *laughs* Am useless when it comes to that!! Oh well.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Liza, these fabrics are wonderful! What a great find :D

I hope your doll will arrive soon. Let me know when you get it...

7:41 pm  
Blogger Me, Myself n I said...

Am just amazed where some of the awesome materials can be found. Am planning some weekends for me to roam around to see what else I can find in nooks and crannies around Singapore :o)

8:27 pm  
Blogger Me, Myself n I said...

Hi Amy. Not a problem. If you can tell me which ones you want, I might have some with me or I can even pop over to the shop to get some for you :o)

9:43 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

may i know the address of the fabric store u bought the batik print fabrics?

2:45 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home