Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Happy Awal Muharram to all fellow muslim and muslimah out there!

Guess it's only appropriate to wish all Muslims out there a Happy New Year as today in the Islamic calender is the start of the new year for us. It's not celebrated as grandly as end of Ramadhan or the fasting month, but nonetheless, it's an important enough day!

There are twelve months as well in the Islamic calender and they are in the following order:

1. Muharram
2. Safar
3. Rabiul-Awwal
4. Rabi-uthani
5. Jumadi-ul-Awwal
6. Jumadi-uthani
7. Rajab
8. Sha'ban
9. Ramadan
10. Shawwal
11. Dhil-Q'ada
12. Dhil-Hijja

And nope, I have yet to memorise them though I did learn them yonks ago. And a little bit more information about the Islamic calendar that I 'cut and paste'...

The Islamic calendar is based on the year prophet Muhammad and his fellow Muslims (known as Sahabah, the Companions) emigrated to Madinah in the year 622 C.E. (Christian Era). The emigration took place after thirteen years of persecutions by the disbelievers of Makkah. By the command of God, the Prophet left the city with his companion Abu Bakr Siddique (R.A.) and escaped a death threat by the disbelievers. The event marks the beginning of a second phase of the Islamic movement. It is the phase when Madinah became the center of an
Islamic state.

The Islamic calendar is lunar. Each month must begin with the evening when the new moon is sightable by the unaided naked eye. Muslims are obligated to sight the crescent in every country. Different countries may begin the year at different days based on their own sightings. The calendar is called Hijri calendar. The Arabic word Hijrah means emigration.

5 Comments:

Blogger 3A Gurl said...

Habby New Year to you and yours! Not muslimah but have received comments that with deeper exposure into fus'ha, may become one, even if superficially. That will be interesting indeed.

8:28 am  
Blogger Simone said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:19 pm  
Blogger Simone said...

Happy Awal Muharram to you, Liza! Sorry, I removed my previous comment because of some silly grammatical mistakes.

I was very interested in what you wrote about the muslim calendar and hope that you don't mind that I linked to your post from my blog too.

Thanks!

2:27 pm  
Blogger Me, Myself n I said...

Hi Simone, you are very welcome to the info dear :o)

Hi Az, Happy New Year to friends of muslimahs too *grins* This reminds me of a funny story when in Egypt. I had to prove my 'muslim-ness' before they allowed me into the mosque for free (they were all ready to Jas in without any 'test and for free wherelse I was directed to the counter to pay for entrance). When they found out that I was the Muslim and Jas wasn't, they let me in free, and let Jas in for free to cuz 'she friend of Muslim' *roools eyes* Geeez!

9:27 pm  
Blogger Me, Myself n I said...

Hi Simone, go ahead and link away :o) Am learning new stuff as I look up these things so am glad to share them info.

9:55 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home