Saturday, August 27, 2005

How Time Flies.

Not been coming online as much the last week. Been busy with work work work. Had a report due for one of the bosses. Had to finish some papers (already way overdue on that one). Had to mark papers as had to key in two rows of marks. Didn't matter that I didn't have much to test kids on but had to somehow produce two rows of marks. And also had to ensure that preparation for daily work done to entertain 40 young and restless minds!

Was sleeping at 2.00am each day for that week to finish up all the work. Got up each morning thinking that I could come back straight after work at 1.40pm and get some sleep. But next thought would be...hmm, nope. There would be either a meeting or some more work to do in school. Once I got home earlier so that I could get some marking done and 'early' meant leaving work at 4.00pm. And am work at 6.50am each day. Nine hours on an early day. A late day was just last Thursday where I left work at 7.00pm. Got locked out of the office because guy closing up thought everyone had left and had to frantically look for him because my barang barang were still in the room.

Anyways, got up yesterday morning and got an sms about an old friend's mom passing away. We were both going through some tough times because my own mom is battling breast cancer. So we were checking up on each other about how our mothers were doing. She knew how tough it was having to rush to the hospital after work. She knew how difficult it was seeing a loved one go through the pain. And both of us had to be strong. She had her own family and a grandma to look after too. And her brother working overseas, she was the main one running around and took a break when her brother came back to help.

Yesterday's sms was about her mom passing away. At 6.00am, reading that sms - I was stunned. Took a few seconds for the news to sink in. I felt sad that my friend and her brother lost their mother. But I also felt relieved as her mother was in alot of pain and now she would be able to be rest peacefully.

It also made me think about my own family. Since I started working 7 years ago, I realised I have been spending alot less time with my parents. I remember when I was 'bumming around' before working, I used to go for lunch with my Dad daily. Accompanied him to pick up my mom from work. I miss those times that I spent with my Dad. We used to talk alot about everything and anything. And yes, am Daddy's girl basically. Like what my mom used to say - I could get away with murder with my Dad cuz he gave in alot, sometimes even at the expense of quarrelling with my mom *grins*.

Hearing about my friend's mom's passing made me think about how I have been spending so much time at work at the expense of spending time with my family. My parents are not young anymore. Both are in their early 60s. My parents have been very supportive of my work and they constantly encourage me when I am feeling down at work.

It's a wake up call for me. I don't want any regrets about not spending enough time with my parents. I don't want to wake up one day and realise it's way too late.

Realising this is not enough. Doing something is the next step. It's going to be tough especially with the new challenges that I will be facing at work next year. But I somehow need to figure out how to juggle everything - that will be the real challenge.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home