Sunday, June 07, 2009

HSBC Tree Top Walk ...

I have no idea what got into me when I suggested going for the Tree Top Walk on Saturday. Prepared the night before because I wanted to have an early start and brought breakfast, fruits and drinks for the walk. I was told that it was a 2 hour walk there but I guess I should have been a little smarter to add on to the time since it's me doing the walk *grins*

I guess I should explain why I decided to do the walk. I had friends who told me about how cool the tree top walk was and though it was quite a walk there, it was worth it. Also, I have been trying to eat healthy (thanks to my recent gout attacks) but binged some two days in a row and I guess it was a way to give myself a 'treat' was make myself do the walk! Slawek who went for the walk with me was surprised that I even suggested the walk because I am the sort that would rather sit at home to read or watch my Korean dramas rather than wake up super early (on a weekend some more) to work out a sweat! He commented that it must have been a 'massive Catholic-sized guilt' that made me do the walk *laughs*. Let me explain this. It's just a personal joke between us. Slawek was raised in a Catholic family and I used to tease him whenever he feels guilty about something (and trust me, when he gets guilty about it, it's big time guilt session)... it's either due to his Catholic upbringing or his experience going through Communism as a kid. So he reckoned that me putting myself through this, was cuz of some major ... no, mammoth sense of guilt for binging! And I guess it was true.

What I thought was a 2 hour stroll to the tree top walk ended up to be a 10km walk there and back. The trail to the tree top was about 5km and it took us a little over 4 hours of walking! Don't get me wrong. Put me in the Lourve Museum for 4 hours...no problem. Lost in the back streets of some foreign city for hours ... no problem. But climbing up some rather steep slopes and steps in the heat and humidity ... big problem!!!
Our starting point was at the MacRitchie Reservoir at almost 7am. You need to go from the carpark to the right side of the park and follow the signs. And at the starting point, they will show you different trails and to help you prepare mentally, it clearly shows that to the Tree Top Walk, it will take 5km (mind you, that's ONE way ya).
Along the paths, you will see markers to show you how far you have walk/run and also direction markers like the one above.

This is a picture taken when we started (when I wasn't busy huffing and puffing away, wondering why I am putting myself through such torture!). You will get a mix of paths - pebbled tracks, uneven stones of different shapes and sizes, upslope, downslope, boardwalk, steps, tar road etc. And it was quite amazing to see people running up the trail!

There will also be parts of the trail where you have a gorgeous view of the reservoir like the photograph above. As for all walks through the forest, remember to spray on the insect repellent, bring enough water and a lil towel handy to wipe of the beads of sweat. I didn't bring any umbrella but that or a poncho would have been handy if it rained.

After walking 5km without any stops in between, we reached the Ranger Station where you can go to the loo, top up your water bottle and rest some. That was when we stopped for a few minutes to rest before walking another 600m to the Tree Top Walk and that was the HARDEST part because it was up a steep slope on tar road. No pictures cuz I had to be dragged up Bukit Peirce then and wasn't in any state to take any photos *laughs*

We were then greeted by the friendly park ranger at the entrance of the canopy walk. He was there to ensure that not too many people go on the walk at a go. Guess they have weight limits too. I was so glad to finally reach the start of the canopy walk. It's one way so there's no turning back and there's no way you can backtrack cuz there would be people behind you.

Only way to savour the experience is not to rush it cuz the walk isn't that long (compared to the one in Perth which was amazing). But with the sun up high (we got there about 10am or so), it was quite hot. From the bridge, you are at the canopy level and can see the emergents (whip out your Geography textbooks if you cannot remember!) and the other trees below.
But am glad that I did it anyways and the tree top walk itself was a little disappointing because it was such a short canopy walk compared to the ones, for example, in Perth. All that walking to get there and the canopy walk was over in 5 minutes. But the view was awesome yes. Just wished it was longer.

Below is another view from the bridge. And if you're lucky you may see them monkeys playing about below. Lookout for rustling of trees, that's a sure sign that there are monkeys there!
After the tree top walk, you'll follow the boardwalk that will take you down to the floor of the forests. It's shaded with lots of rest stops for you to enjoy the peaceful surrounding. We took our time (plus I was dead tired then) so munched on fruits that I brought along. Steps below thankfully were for us to go DOWN instead of UP. But at the back of my mind, I was thinking 'Darn, if I am going down now, there must be a going up part later' *laughs*

I thought it was pretty cool how quiet at some point the forest became. But it wasn't for long because we met some of the 'MacRitchie residents' ....

Below is a little video clip of the monkeys at play. There were so many cute lil ones quite amazing how they were so agile playing among the trees! Check out how they use their tails to slide down the tree ...

We saw some pretty cool flora and fauna along the way and this below just got my attention. Saw them throughout our walk back and just had to stop to take a picture.

We decided to take the path that would take us to Jelutong Tower (I was thinking since I am already there and god knows when I will be there again, might as well do EVERYTHING instead of coming back *laughs*). Yes, I climbed all the way to the top and it was nice cuz of the breeze. Also took that as our rest stop, drank heaps and I brought breakfast with me so had that too.

From the tower, you can see real far (like the view below). We also spot some rambutans but they were not ripe yet (photograph above). We also saw durian trees with the fruit on the tree still. Cool!

After that stretch, we had to walk through the Singapore Island Country Club and you will see the golf course with the occasional golfer looking out for his stray golf ball. Remember that you will be considered trespassing if you step into the SICC area so stick to the path.

Once back to the MacRitchie Reservoir area, you can choose to go through the forested area or walk along the reservoir on the boardwalk. We picked the later because it would be easier to walk on the boardwalk (my left show had parts of the sole falling off during the walk) and it was nicer to be in an open area with the water since we trekked in the forest earlier on.

We came across a water monitor lizard, huge bugger who went for a swim when he saw us. Wished we could have jumped in too cuz the heat was getting to me.

And also more of these monkeys (at the snake-free zone). They were not bothered by the heat and happily chased after each other. They were not even bothered by the presence of humans around them. These two were busy grooming each other and the fella infront happily posed for me while the friend ate the bugs on him *grins*

Now that I have done the HSBC Tree Top walk, it will be a while before I go for that again. We finished the walk about 4.5 hours later. Stopped for a drink before we headed back to shower and rest. I forgot to stretch properly before and after the walk so many days later, I am still paying the price cuz my legs hurt and I am still walking funny till today.

I was told there are different ways up to the tree top walk and it depends how much time you have. But go prepared. Dress comfy. Bring water and snacks. Insect repellant a must. Be prepared for the rain cuz we didn't see many rest huts for you to take shelter under.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Thanks for taking us on the walk with you! It sounds like a real workout but aren't you glad you did it?

10:55 am  
Blogger Me, Myself n I said...

Thanks dear. Now that the walk is over, yes, I am glad I did it and strike it off my list :o)

12:48 am  
Blogger Fiona Kathleen Hogan said...

Oh wow - it wounds like quite the workout. :o I have been tempted to do this but... hhmmm. I don't think I'm IN shape enough now. lol People think walking's a wimpy excercise, but it's not!

7:52 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks good ... not sure whether I have been there before ... so long since I visited MacRitchie and the environs. Will ask Abang to bring me one of these days.

Tiga Alif

9:02 pm  
Blogger Me, Myself n I said...

Totally agree with you Fi. Walking is no joke. Walking uphill ... *sighs* geez. Just shows how unfit I am right now *laughs*

Tiga Alif *grins* yes, get Abang to take you there. Quite cool with the new car park. Am just waiting for the new area to be open (no uphill walking required to enjoy that). Let me know when you do the walk and what you think of it :o)

10:58 pm  
Anonymous Geotacs said...

yep the Tree Top walk can be quite a walk and experience...

did you get to climb up the Jelutong Tower along the way?

the revamped MacRitichie Reservoir is quite nice...

12:13 am  
Blogger Me, Myself n I said...

Will have to check the new McRitchie cuz when we were there, it wasn't opened yet. Thanks for the reminder :o)

5:55 pm  
Blogger Fuming Chimney said...

Hi there, I am working on a website and would like to quote portions of your blog post. Can you please get back to me via my email, fumingchimney@gmail.com. Thanks.

8:01 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home