Saturday, April 11, 2009

Finally made it to Kuala Lumpur...

I spent the weekend in KL and after the last fiasco, it was by air and there was a good deal going with Malaysian Airlines so why not ya. The only thing was that Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) was an hour taxi ride away and would probably cost about RM90.00 to the hotel where I was staying at - Hotel Nikko.

I stayed at Hotel Nikko some years back when I was in KL with a friend and liked it. So this time, decided to splurge some and stayed in Nikko again. And it wasn't too bad because when I got here on Friday (took the morning flight), I took the KL Express which took me to the Central Station (28 minutes) and then took the KL Rapid and six stops away, I was at Ampang Park stop which was just across from Hotel Nikko. KL Express cost me RM35 and the KL Rapid was another RM2. And because it wasn't during the peak hour, the train rides were great.


Here's a photograph of how empty the trail was. Seats were very comfy and you get some nice views along the way.

There's also space if you're lugging around huge bags. No problem at all.

What have I done so far while in KL? I got a free map from the Information Centre and coupled with another map of KL and the airline magazine, I was good to go. We visited some temples, shopping sites (of course) *grins* It was super hot during the day and showers in the evening so the pictures weren't too great.

Anyways, here are some of my photographs from my visit.

Above: Photograph of the clan's house that was also a Chinese traditional medical centre.

Above: A Chinese temple that I came across but it was late and a couple of us got shoo-ed out. 


Above: One of the statues standing outside the Chinese temple.

I also did some shopping of course and to avoid the crowd at night, I headed down to Petaling Street (where Chinatown at) in the morning instead. This is the place where you can find all sorts of fake 'branded' bags, wallets, watches, DVDs etc. Anything fake, most likely you will be able to find it here. I was even surprised to find them Longchamp bags there!

Above: You know when you're in Chinatown when you see this!

Below: Lotus flowers and seeds that were sold along the street.

Below: Spoilt for choice ... just cannot guarantee that they have the right kind of protection for your eyes.


Below: As the sign says, trying is buying. So I didn't dare try any just in case I don't like what I tried!

And did I do some shopping? Yeah! And this time, my guiding philosophy was BUY LOCAL! Support local designers or artisans *grins* And yeah, I visited my usual haunt like Ms Read and Total Woman for clothes. And here are the other things that I got. They didn't have anything new that I like except for these two pairs, shoes from Schuetz.


I am so pleased that I discovered this Malaysian designer, Peter Hoe, who has the loveliest things. It's just a shame that I couldn't cart many of his things home!

He has a little quaint shop (Peter Hoe's Evolution) on the corner across the street from the Central Market (painted green). After you're done there, ask for a map to head to his bigger shop (Peter Hoe Beyond). Go down a short street and around the corner onto what used to be colonial Kuala Lumpur's High Street, now named Jalan Tun H. S. Lee. Climb up a stairwell (or take the lift) past offices to the second floor of the old Lee Rubber Building. You will surely find things to bring home, like I did (see below).


I am a fan of Lat and had to grab a copy when I was a Kinokunya for my dad *grins*


One of the places that I went back to was the Central Market. The last time I was there, it was a little disappointing because there were not many stalls up and running. This time round, it was much better. Only thing is that its catering to mainly tourists so you really need to do some bargaining as many of the shops don't put prices on their items and they seem to come up with prices depending on who walks in. So do bargain if you really like it.

Above photograph shows some wonderful traditional kites or Wau that were sold at the Central Market. They were so pretty with the many colours.

I also got two pareo or sarong skirts for hula class. I should have bargained some more but was too exhausted after awhile. Ohh, by the way, there is an interesting makan place called Old Town in there if you want to try something tasty!

And below are two rather funky looking bags, made locally of course, perfect for the weekend!

I wished I had more time because there was one thing that I didn't manage to do that was on my list to do - a massage. I could definitely do with one. So will just have to get one here *grins* I would like to head back to KL sometime soon and maybe the next round, check out the more natural areas that KL has to offer ....

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger MagTY said...

Must admit that I haven't been to those places you went even though I've been down there a couple of times....must get pointers from you before I head down there next yah?!

9:26 pm  
Blogger Me, Myself n I said...

Confession. Only reason why me went to those places was cuz our friend has not been there before so thought that I should show some of the sights. Like you, most of the time my trips to KL mainly to eat, shop, massage, facials, haircut and club hopping (when me younger)*grins*

10:18 pm  
Blogger Fiona Kathleen Hogan said...

I haven't been to KL in eons. I think.... close to a decade :o

Perhaps we should do a weekened for MBA? lol.

9:33 pm  
Blogger Constant Thinker said...

Wah..!! U sure had some fun out there..I have been to KL atleast twice so far..and still not been to Petaling Street..! Strange now that u mention it..
Thanks for the tips and pointers though. Sounds fun!!

10:31 pm  
Blogger Me, Myself n I said...

Great idea Fi, am game if everyone else is game! *grins*

Constant Thinker, I have been to Petaling Street at night and I find it alot more exciting but you just have to bear with the hordes of people and gotta watch you things cuz it's a haven for pickpockets too. Safer during the day but better ambience at night :o)

9:13 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home