Friday, July 04, 2008

World of Charms ...

When I was much younger, my aunt gave me a sterling silver charm bracelet when she came to visit the family in Singapore. My aunt has lived in New Zealand even before I was born and we kept in constant touch either by weekend calls, frequent letters and we also took turns to visit. Back then, it wasn't a rage in Singapore and infact it became the rage only recently because some celebrities were spot wearing them.

My aunt selected the charms and one of it had a Maori Tiki and a Kiwi bird that reminded me where the bracelet came from. She started me off and at that time, I managed to find some awesome charms and added on to the bracelet. I have one more space left and I am looking for the right charm to represent my aunt :o)

And the bracelet means the world to me and is one of my precious worldly possessions because it's from my aunt. She passed away about four years ago in New Zealand and unfortunately, I wasn't able to be with her then because I couldn't get away from work. But my parents were with so that was comforting. She was my favourite aunt because she understood me so well. I could talk to her about anything and I knew she would always be supportive. The bracelet reminds me of her and although I don't wear it as often (because I am worried of spoiling some of the charms), it always makes me smile and think of her when I do.

Clockwise: Love Story Book that opens up to reveal two hearts, a Kiwi bird, an egg that opens up with a lil birdie in there, a spinning charm that says I LOVE YOU, a Sphinx with a mummy inside, bird cage that opens up at the base, a dunny that opens to reveal a man reading the papers and a Maori Tiki.

The world of charms is so intriguing. Just go to ebay and see some of the fascinating things that they have there. And recently, after my trip back from UK, I decided to start another charm bracelet to capture my travels. So that's work in progress and I am enjoying hunting for charms that represent the different countries I have been to (and have stretched it some to include places that I would like to visit in the near future). I also have a few other ideas for bracelets that I would like to work on. Yes, it's very addictive. What I love about charm bracelets is that it's unique to the owner. Each charm comes with a story. Yes, you can get 'ready made' ones which are cute. But I rather have the ones with stories to go with each charm.

Recently, I gave my bracelet a good clean. I tried using a polishing cloth but that didn't work as well. A friend Sima gave me this super effective tip for cleaning Sterling Silver. Line a bowl or plate with aluminium foil. Put the bracelet on the foil and try and get as much of the bracelet to be in contact with the foil. Sprinkle some bicarbonate soda onto the bracelet and charms. Pour boiling water to cover the pieces and cover the bowl or plate. And after five minutes or so, you'll see how shiny your pieces will be. For pieces that have tarnished badly, you may need to do this several times but I did it once and was amazed by the result.

I googled some and managed to find how Charms came about from 925silvercharms so take a read:

History Of Charms
From ancient times charms have been crafted out of precious and common materials with animal figures and other charms being used to bring good luck. Many cultures made charms from lapis lazuli, crystal and other gemstones and inscribed them with small spiritual and animal designs.
As far back as the Ancient Egyptians collections of charms appeared on bracelets, necklaces and even crowns. Such charms were often made of precious metals as well as being inlaid with gems. In ancient societies charms were thought to bring good fortune and special powers and were often known as Talismans or Amulets.
By the beginning of the 20th Century charms had become a highly sort after fashion item. Even Queen Victoria wore a charm bracelet with locket charms containing family pictures.
With the Queen wearing charms they quickly became popular throughout much of Europe and from here the popularity has spread Worldwide.
Charms are now firmly established both as a traditional gift, with many new and inventive designs. A charm bracelet is a beautiful gift for a young child and over the years new charms can be added to mark special occasions and achievements. A ballet shoe might mark a new hobby or passing an exam, a 18th or 21st key charm will ensure that a special birthday is fondly remembered and a stork can mark the birth of a new baby.
Bracelets are passed on from Mother to Daughter and often become a valuable part of family history. Today there are many ways to collect and wear your charms. A single charm worn on a chain makes an elegant and individual necklace.
A charm bracelet is very unique to the owner and with an endless choice of charms to choose from you will never get tired of collecting them!

A Sterling Silver Charm lasts forever, commemorates any occasion, reminds you of priceless memories, lasts for generations and makes a wonderful gift!


Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger 3A Gurl said...

wah so "faberge" your charm bracelet! a charm within a charm! I lurve the collection. It's so original and just so you. And yes I know how addictive building charm bracelets can be. My Yang bracelet took over 5 years to mature, and I am still open to ideas! My Yin bracelet can be worn as it is but I consider it to be WIP, awaiting fresh inspiration. Let's meet up one day and compare, compare over kopi.

11:08 pm  
Blogger Me, Myself n I said...

Let's do that!! I would love to see your bracelets!! My travel charms are streaming in except that I am still looking for the right one for one more country :o) Will bring those along when we meet over kopi!! Sounds good girl!!

8:49 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful bracelet!
It is looking fantastic.

1:18 am  
Blogger Me, Myself n I said...

Thank you Claire :o)

7:40 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

My first look at blogs, I checked out charms to find someone who has a charm bracelet with 3 at least of the charms we make.Lovely to see they have found such a nice home and are loved. The I Love You Spinner,The Opening Egg, and the Love Story Book. Maybe the Tiki I cannot tell. If you want to see more of ours have a look at www.gardones.co.nz and www. jwdnz.com. but we make nearlly 600 now and I am thinking of putting up a new sight. Jillian.

10:56 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home