Sunday, July 09, 2006

Auf Widersein Olli!

If people say that the World Cup is a waste of time. I beg to differ. Lots of teachable moments during the matches that we have seen. You may think it's horrid of me to say this but one lesson I think is important here is that there is only one champion. Ya, there's 2nd place and 3rd place and it's important to play fair ....yes, I agree. But the reality is that there can only be one. How many of us remember who came in 3rd in the last world cup? (Thanks to Jas who reminded me tat it was the Turks who came in 3rd place in 2002).
But, I am very proud of the German team who played this morning. They played well and won. It would have been beautiful if they have won the World Cup since they are playing home ground. But they have been a lovely host and played fair through the different matches. And from this morning's match, I still stand strong in saying that Oliver Kahn is still a Number 1 goal keeper to me!!!


In 2002, I made a tshirt with an adorable caricuture of Oliver Kahn and wore that t-shirt many a times when the Germans played. Got many chuckles and smiles when people saw the t-shirt. This year, I dug it out and yes it was yellowing slightly but thankfully it still fits. But I didn't get a chance to wear it before as Oliver Kahn didn't have the opportunity to play before.

This is a picture of Olli that is on my t-shirt (picture below). Touched it up a little so that it's clearer but isn't it the cutest? *grins* Yes, he is always protrayed as one who is screaming on the field but hey, he's good so he can scream all he wants *laughs*Olli played the last match and it was a bitter sweet moment. He and the other players played well. It was a great last match. But it was also a sad moment as after the 3-1 win over Portugal in the 3rd Place Match, Kahn announced that he would retire from the national team, making the 86th appearance his last.

Am glad the game ended beautifully. Am glad Olli performed brilliantly. Auf Widersein Oli!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home