Sunday, June 28, 2009

Darn, another gouty toe that's driving me crazy!


This weekend was suppose to be a walk around the Singapore Botanic Gardens but I got as far as the Visitor Centre and breakfast at Lazy Gourmet. That's it. It was good weather too so was a shame that I couldn't do the walk. Why? Thanks to another bout of gout attack (Mag, you're right girl. I was hoping the pain was due to them insoles. Darn it). And this time round, I have NO IDEA why my big toe swelled up two days ago and the pain intensified yesterday, that I threw the towel in and went to see my GP.

Checked my blog and the last attack that I posted was in February this year. I think I might have had another attack between February and now but I had some left over meds and realised it before it had time to swell to the max so it wasn't too bad. But this round, I was caught off guard cuz I have been relatively good in what I have been consuming. Hmm, anyways, Doc wants to do a blood test to see if I need to go on meds (most likely Allopurinol). But am not too keen on this because of the side effects such as Allopurinol, however, has some serious side effects, such as skin eruptions, liver toxicity, inflammation of the blood vessels, and possible weakening of kidney function by forcing the kidneys to work too hard to excrete the uric acid. Doc has been avoiding putting me on this for some time now but guess may have too if the gout attacks become to regular. When I asked Doc what happened this time round, she reckons this round could be because I have not been drinking alot of water ... hmmm, possible.

Yes Az, I should have taken the Celery Seed extract religiously. I will do so starting tomorrow!!! And yes, I am also going to take cherries which came highly recommended by Slawek who read it in a book that it helps with gout.

Thing about cherries. From this website, it says that though it may not work for all, for some gout sufferers, cherries work because of the flavonoids found in cherries (as well as some other berries such as blueberries, strawberries and hawthorn berries). Flavonoids help to reduce the uric acid levels in the bloodstream. Gout occurs when excessive uric acid in the blood crystallizes and then deposit in the joints and tissues of the body. Flavonoids also help to prevent the inflammation that results from gout. So cherries or cherry juice may help. Hmm, also found on another site that I would need to eat about eight ounces of the fruit, canned or fresh *grins* hmmm ....

Based on this website, celery seed is used primarily as a diuretic (increasing urine output to help the body get rid of excess water). Celery seed is also suggested for treating arthritis and gout, and to help reduce muscle spasms, calm the nerves, and reduce inflammation. These seeds are quite effective in relieving gout by eliminating uric acid from the body. Note: This remedy is not to be used by pregnant women because of its diuretic effect and the fact that it can encourage uterine contractions, or those with kidney disease because of its potential diuretic effect and that the plant's oils can worsen kidney inflammation.

Okay, last bit is interesting. I have been getting once or twice at night to pee daily (and its so frustrating because it breaks my sleep). I have also been checking my blood level for glucose (use the same home kit that my diabetic parents use to monitor their glucose level) and so far it's normal. But two people - one is the TCM doctor who gave a free consultation in Shanghai told me I have weak kidneys and another is this guy who has a machine that you stand on for several minutes to scan your insides told me that my kidneys are working too hard ... one common word that keeps cropping up ... kidneys .... so I have been a little worried and am trying to do something about it. Starting with them walks each weekend but will need to do alot more than that *grins*

Anyways, for now, am focussed on my GOUT issue. Am armed with packets of cherries (will start with 6-8 cherries daily) and my celery seed extract, am going to take them both religiously for the next two weeks before the blood test and let's see if it works to help reduce the amount of uric acid in me. Fingers and toes crossed everyone!!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL you just knew what I was going to say har?! Poor you, hope you are all better real soon. You may want to consider doing foot reflexology regularly - it helps to break down the uric crystals in your feet, allowing your body to excrete them with greater ease. And yes, you do need to drink more water. TCM works great on weak kidneys so do consider the TCM route.

Alif Alif

11:46 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home