Monday, February 27, 2006

My love for Kokeshi Dolls

My love with them Kokeshi dolls started late last year. A lady on flickr asked for a Kokeshi as part of a swap. I went to Takashimaya and saw some there and got the lady one. It was an opportunity for me to take a closer look at the dolls and that was how I fell in love with them.

When my brother flew to Japan, I asked him to get me one. He wasn't sure what exactly it was and got me one based on sample pictures I showed him. And for a guy, he sure picked the prettiest one I have seen:
I love her expression and the details on the kimono is just awesome. What a way to start a collection with one as pretty as this. Other than the little corner at Takashimaya (checked today and they didn't have any more wooden dolls *sighs*), I found another shop at Holland Village Shopping Centre that sold bric-bracs from all over and they have a good collection of Kokeshi dolls. But, the only catch is that it is very expensive. I guess that is the price you pay for imported items.

I couldn't resist but bought one from the shop. Was one of the smallest one there but still cost quite a bit. But with a face like that, how could I resist.


So at the moment, I have two Kokeshi Dolls in my very small collection but am hoping that it will grow. I am scouting on Ebay to look for vintage kokeshi dolls. Am not an expert but am slowly reading up on these dolls. For more information, check out Dolls Of Japan which has lots of information about traditional and creative Kokeshi dolls. I seem to sway towards the creative Kokeshi dolls.

Also googled for books and so far, found only one book that deals with Kokeshi dolls specifically called
Kokeshi: Wooden Treasures of Japan, a Visual Exploration by Michael Evans and Robert Wolf. Looks like a good book and I tried looking for it at Kinokunya but no luck there.

And if you would like to purchase Kokeshi Dolls online, JUN Japanese Gifts & Souveniors have really good ones here and cost slightly cheaper than the shop that I bought from at Holland Village Shopping Centre (yes, even after including shipping). Reasonable prices yes. Will keep adding more things as and when I find anything related to Kokeshi. Found another online shop that sells Kokeshi dolls but it's UK so prices are in pounds so can come up to quite a bit. But they do have a lovely collection!

Anyways, if you know anywhere I can get nice Kokeshi dolls here, do let me know! Appreciate that.

As I said before, am not an expert but have some things that I personally look for when I look for them dolls.

  • Face: I like to look at the faces of the dolls before picking the one that I like. The face has to be well drawn and has to make me smile. Most do but there will always be that special one or two that will just catch my attention.
  • Design: If the design is simple then I go for colours. The colours must be rich and attractive. If the design is detailed, then I got for clean lines rather than one so mushed up that you can't tell what the designs suppose to be.
  • Shape: I like the unusual shape ones which is different from the normal dolls.
  • Uniqueness: It doesn't have to be pretty but if there is an X-factor that attracts my attention, then I will get it. I guess I have to get one to help explain what I am actually referring to here.
  • Price: That is a factor too as I have seen the most gorgeous kokeshi dolls but have to sadly put it down cuz it was just way too expensive. This is very hard to do for an impulsive shoppaholic like me but for this, I will have to put a limit unless it's a special occasion (see, I somehow manage to figure a way to get around this budget thing).
Like I said, I am not pro so what I look out for is based on personal preference. I think for anything that we buy, it has to be what we like about it rather than what's in fashion right now. Trust your own instincts and go for what appeals to you most.

So here's to many more Kokeshi Dolls for me!!!

Updates:
Thanks to atlantaga who has a lovely page on Dolls of the World, I found more useful information on Kokeshi. There is a lovely site,
Miyagi Traditional Kokeshi Dolls Home Towns, that takes you to the five areas in Japan where the traditional kokeshi dolls are made. Another site, The Kokeshi Village, has lots of information about these dolls and yes, they have some dolls available on ebay too. Lots of links available on this site so do pop over if you are hungry for more information.

2 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

I love Japanese things too. It looks like your Kokeshi doll collection is off to a good start. Isn't it amazing how much expression they have from just a few small lines?

10:33 pm  
Blogger Me, Myself n I said...

Hi atlantaga. Hope you don't mind if I link you up too on my blog. Lots of useful information there. And lovely collection of dolls that you have :O)

7:24 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home