Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Maneki Neko

Yes, my fascination for things Japanese continues. For a long time, I have seen different versions of the Maneki Neko like the one you see above. And it never really caught my attention. I mean cats are the cutest but some versions of the Maneki Neko was kinda..err..not so cute.
But recently, while picking out some kokeshi dolls, I stumbled across one adorable one at Takashimaya. And by the time I left, I was happily carrying three different ones cuz they are so cute.
First, a little about Maneki Neko. I got this from a website which had some information about Maneki Neko. It is a cat figurine. However, it is not just any kind of cat figurine. The one which sits and has it's front paw raised as if it is calling for someone is the only one that can be called a " Maneki neko".It just sits in your house or in your store. But it does bring the luck, the fortune and the customers into your store. It does invite the happiness to your home!It works as a kind of lucky charm ( something like a St. Christopher's charm) in Japan. And it seems that the colour also makes a difference so if you're keen, pop over to that website for a quick read.
Back to my fortune cats. The first one that I fell in love with had both paws beckoning and I asked the salesperson who thankfully knew her stuff.
If the cat has the RIGHT paw beckoning, that is suppose to bring in money.
And if the cat has the LEFT paw beckoning, that is suppose to bring in customers into your store (which should bring in more money yes?).
And if the cat has BOTH paws up, it's suppose to bring in both. But the one that I first saw had both paws up but the wordings on the tummy says that it's for DREAMS TO COME TRUE. Well, had to take her word for it since I can't make out what the words mean.

Am pleased with my cats and will be keeping a look out for such cute ones from now on. Oh yes...I see a new collection in the making *grins* HELP!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home