Wednesday, August 17, 2005

That's Life!

Last few days have been a little hectic and did not have much time to write anything. After work at 6pm, would head to the hospital and not get home till about 10pm. By then too zonked to do anything but had to force myself to work on a report due for the boss.

Mom's in the hospital due to a high fever after her first chemotherapy session. She had a relapse after her first breast cancer surgery 15 years ago. And a few months back, we were told that her cancer was in Stage 2 so she would have to go through 6 cycles of chemo that will end in December. And after chemo, she might need to go for radiotherapy but it depends.

It's hard to see her cope with chemo and even harder when you cannot do anything to ease the pain. We did what we could to prepare for the chemo. We read up on the internet about the procedure, the effects, what we can do to make it a little easier. You try to prepare for it mentally but when it actually happens, it's a different thing. It hard seeing her cope with the blinding migraine that only morphine could help ease for a little while. It's scary when her fever jumped from 38 deg celsius to 40 deg celsius in 30 minutes. It's scary when you see her hair on the bed or see her hair come off even at the slightest touch. It's hard seeing her not be able to get up from bed on some days because she is just too tired. And this is me just seeing it happen to her. I can only imagine what a person battling cancer has to go through. It's one of those things that you have to go through to truly know what is happening so I am not going to pretend to know how hard it is. I can only empathise.

Am going to help her cut her hair some more tonight so that it's even shorter. It's recommended that you shave your hair off before chemo because the sight of your hair dropping can be a very difficult thing. My Mom is being very brave about the whole situation. The rest of the family is also trying to be brave and support her. But this whole thing about 'being brave' cannot be very good. I think it puts alot of pressure on the person to be okay when he or she is not okay. I think it's good to talk about how one is feeling rather than hide behind a brave front. It can be very therapeutic but maybe it's not an Asian thing to talk about how we feel....

But I guess in life things always happen for a reason. And it's up to us to see the good in every situation, even when it seems very dark and bleak. For my Mom, since her cancer is in Stage 2, she has a higher chance of recovering. And for me, this experience has given me an insight to what it's like for a person going through chemotherapy and a wake up call for me to take better care of my health.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home