Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Turning 37 ...

Turned 37 today but didn't have much time to think about it thanks to a rather busy schedule at work. Driving home from work gave me ample time though to think what I could blog about. I did think of listing 37 things that I am grateful for but at Number 10, I realised that I would probably bore myself, what more people stumbling upon the post. So did a strikethrough for that idea.

Instead, I am just going to share what are some of the things I am looking forward for the year ahead. I have taken steps to move forward in some areas and could do better in other areas. But there are some things I would like to do more now for myself.

I have toyed with the idea of going back to school for sometime but the timing never seemed right. But this year, partly thanks to the encouragement of a friend, we both signed up to further our studies. It's been one lesson so far but I reckon it's going to get harder because it's a three year part time programme, with lessons once a week on Fridays from 6pm to 9pm (that's when my brain usually goes into shut down mode), and we're expected to keep on track with the readings and assignments. It was the best option right now though doing my studies full time would be a smarter idea but due to commitments, not an option for my consideration. So will have to be more disciplined and try to juggle work and studies.


I have also decided to dedicate more me time for myself which I think I have been neglecting for something. I recently did a thinking profile and oddly, one of the thinking styles that came out a little too strong was altruism (where one puts others way before self). I didn't think very much about it before but that profile got me thinking. I am uncomfortable with the term 'altruism', I think my personality is such that I tend to prefer peace and harmony among people around me, and I tend to ensure that their needs are met first so that everyone is happy and sometimes, it means me being miserable. This is so ingrained in me that it will be tough to change but I will make a more conscious effort to do so.

Thanks to a recent getaway over the weekend with my dear friend, I realised that it's quite difficult for me to actually plan in advance long (i.e. two weeks) trips. I wish I could do it yearly because I do enjoy traveling but it's not as simple as it seems. But what I can do instead is use long weekends (plenty next year) to nearby places in the region so that I still get a chance to travel and be rejuvenated by that. It might be a little more costly I think so will have to see how I can work that out.

I also use the excuse 'no time' for heaps of things, even something as routine as going for a haircut or a nice massage to relax after a long and tiring week. I need to re-look at things and figure out why exactly do I think I do not have time for such things. Are these things perceived by me as frivolous so they don't go up on my priority list thus I think that I do not have the time for this? If I do not have time for these things, what am I spending my time on instead? So something to ponder about during my loooong drives to and fro work.

And another area that I would like to improve on would be my physical health. After Cambodia, I have not gone for any more walks and would like to pick up from where I stopped last. Will also need to explore how else I can work this into my work schedule. I usually leave work at 7pm and on most days would go to work by 8am. I may be able to go in a little later (9am) once a week so will have to check on possibility of going to the gym in the morning before work on that day. Need to check if there are any gyms available and within access for me to consider.

So quite a bit for me to think about and put into action. Not getting any younger so gotta start somewhere ya *grins* Also want to take this time to thank my dearest family and friends for their kind birthday wishes. Love you guys *big hugs* Below is a picture of the birthday cake that my bro and his family got me when we had a family dinner. Was nice having the family there and the lil hands you see are my lil nephews who patiently waited for me to take the picture before we could have CAKE!!!


Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Fiona Kathleen Hogan said...

Babes,

Gotta take care of yourself and yes, that includes ME time :))

Go for it!

8:02 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home