Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Trekking Sa Pa.


Part of the trip included a trek through the beautiful Sa Pa mountains. There are different treks to suit your fitness level and the one I was on was easy enough as it was DOWNHILL most of the time and it gave me time to enjoy the beautiful surroundings.

I did some googling before the trek and was really looking forward to seeing the terraced rice fields of Sa Pa. And seeing it in person was a dream come true and it reminded me how much I miss being in the classroom.

The harvest season was over so the fields look kinda bare. Would be amazing I think to be able to see these fields when it's all green as the seedlings are growing or when it's all golden from the ripen rick stalks just before harvesting.


You can also see the bunds built by the farmers to keep the rainwater in to flood the terraces. I miss teaching Geography!!


As we were lots of animals roaming around the fields like this huge black pig you see above.


There was also a stream that we had to cross but it wasn't running full so it wasn't as exciting *grins* I had hoped that we would have to use a wooden bridge like the one below but ...

unfortunately, the bridge was defunct a year ago and they built a more solid concrete bridge (see below) for visitors to use. Not so exciting huh? Darn it ...

Right after the bridge, we stopped for lunch. We had a boxed lunch so it was nice to munch on food with the mountains for a view.


After lunch, we walked on and came across farmer's houses, and there was this boy who was happily playing with his dog.

And the photograph above shows a close up of a house belonging to a farmer. Couldn't venture further in but from what I saw from afar, the houses are build low to the ground and am wondering if it's due to the cold winds?

The two phtographs (above and below) are more shots of the fields as I walked along the Sa Pa trek.


And below is another favourite photograph from the trip of a black Hmong tribe woman. What is interesting about this lady was that even though she was much older than the others, she was still able to walk the long distance that the women have to travel each day.

I came across this mommy and baby pair below and the lil fella looks so small and am not sure if it's a newborn.



Along the trek, there is also options of staying at guesthouses among the rice fields. Would be something I would definitely like to explore when I head back to Sa Pa, at least for a night as it would give me more time to enjoy the beautiful scenery.


As I was walking, I noticed corn that the local farmers were hanging out to dry. I asked the nice local lady (she was from the Black Hmong tribe who was walking with me throughout the trek - hoping to sell me something, though thankfully she was as pushy as the others - had to admire her perseverance though) and she explained that the corn was dried so that they can produce corn wine and the stalk will then be used to feed the animals on the farm.


I was also fortunate to witness something quite interesting. There were no petrol kiosks around so how do the motorcycle owners top up their petrol?


You look for a shop like the one above. And then you take one of them plastic bottles but don't start drinking from it yah.

And you just pour the liquid into your bike and hope that it's what you need and not 7-Up or Sprite *grins*

I took the two photographs (above and below) as part of an experiment. Same subject, different angle and to me, the photographs turned out very different. Which do you reckon is a better shot to take? As for me, I still can't decide which I prefer ...


There were also kids playing outside their homes and they weren't too bothered by the many tourists going by. This fella below was happily throwing stones at however went by him. Guess that's his way of saying GO AWAY! *laughs*

It was an enjoyable trek and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Could have spent more time taking the photographs but guess for now it will have to do :o) And would I like to go back? A definite YES!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home