Saturday, September 20, 2008

Help me make sense of this ....

I received a note that the postman was around to send an insured package and five days later, I finally managed to pick up the package from the post office. The box measures about 23cm X 15cm X 4cm and weigh (together with my stuff inside) 106g. And when I opened the box, this is what I saw. Now the reason behind the seller packaging it like this is - to ensure that the item is safe. The item costs me AUD6.00 and shipping and handling (with includes insurance for a AUD6 worth of item which the seller insisted) costs S$21.00. Yes, it's silly for a AUD6 item!

What is this item I got? If you look at the photos below, you will see that it's a sterling silver charm in the shape of a shadow puppet. Don't get me wrong here, I LOVE the charm, I just cannot understand why anyone would package it like this. I have bought many charms and this is the first time I came across packaging like this. Whatever happen to padded envelope? Even the vintage charms that I bought from the other sellers came perfectly intact in padded envelopes.
And yup, the seller padded the charm further. All that packaging, all that waste. It was really painful seeing all that packaging. So the total weight of the box with all the stuff inside was 106g and the actual weight of the 3cm by 1cm charm is ....

.... yes my friends, a mere 2g *sighs* The money that I could have saved on shipping and the amount of waste produced that could have been reduced. I just cannot understand and had to vent a little here on my blog so bear with me.

Lesson for me here, to check with the seller if they will consider alternative packaging and yes, I am willing to take the risk that the charm may break to bits since I choose padded envelopes over this. Now it's whether the seller game to earn less from handling/shipping/packaging for the sake of the environment!

1 Comments:

Blogger Fiona Kathleen Hogan said...

Babes, some things are beyond fathomable :o

5:13 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home